Tuesday 2 September 2014

Floral Textile Wall Art Hanging

Back in July I started sewing this wall hanging after many months of mosaicking. I wanted something bright and cheery to hang in my bedroom.

I got my sewing machine all set up to start on this project that I have had on my mind for some time now.
I only start with a rough idea as my design grows and comes to life as I create it.

This is my process.
- Sorted out the colours I wanted to use, then selected my textiles and cottons.
- Printed out some rough drafts of my design.
- Cut out some shapes and then played with the design.
- Started sewing some of my shapes onto the background.





I keep playing around with it adding leaves, moving them around until I have some thing I find visually pleasing to me. I pin them down and then just do basic straight stitch around them all to hold them all on to the background fabric. I then "free motion" stitch all around them, kind a like painting but with thread to add highlights and effects.



I keep adding leaves, flowers until I am satisfied with the design. I keep sewing and embellishing with threads, ribbons, beads etc.

I've finally got it all finished and hanging up in my bedroom now. I am very happy with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment